The AppData Folder in Windows 10/11 is a hidden folder that stores user-specific data for applications. It is located in the C:\Users<username>\AppData folder. The AppData folder contains three subfolders: Local, LocalLow, and Roaming.
- The Local subfolder stores data that is specific to the user’s current computer and is not synchronized to other devices.
- The LocalLow subfolder stores data that is specific to the user’s current computer and is not synchronized to other devices, but is also subject to lower integrity requirements than data in the Local subfolder.
- The Roaming subfolder stores data that is specific to the user and is synchronized to other devices that the user is logged in to.
The AppData folder is used by a variety of applications, including Microsoft Office, web browsers, and games. The data stored in the AppData folder can include user preferences, application settings, and saved game data.
In most cases, you will not need to access the AppData folder directly. However, there are a few situations where you may need to do so, such as when you are troubleshooting an application or trying to recover lost data.
Here are some of the things you can do with the AppData folder:
- View application settings: You can view the settings for many applications by opening the corresponding folder in the AppData folder. For example, the settings for Microsoft Word are stored in the C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word folder.
- Troubleshoot applications: If an application is not working properly, you can try troubleshooting the problem by deleting its data from the AppData folder. This will often reset the application to its default settings.
- Recover lost data: If you have lost data from an application, you may be able to recover it from the AppData folder. This is most likely to be successful if the data was recently saved.
To access the AppData folder, you can follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- In the address bar, type %appdata% and press Enter.
This will open the Roaming subfolder of the AppData folder. You can navigate to the other subfolders by clicking on the Local or LocalLow subfolder in the address bar.