On a Chromebook keyboard, the function keys (F1 to F12) serve various purposes, similar to traditional keyboards. By default, these function keys have specific functions assigned to them, but you can also use them as standard function keys by pressing the “Search” key (the key with the magnifying glass icon) simultaneously with the desired function key.
Here’s how to use function keys on a Chromebook keyboard:
1. Default Functions: By default, the function keys on a Chromebook perform specific actions without the need to press the “Search” key simultaneously. The default functions are as follows:
- F1: Previous window
- F2: Next window
- F3: Full-screen mode (maximize window)
- F4: Enable or disable the keyboard’s backlit feature (if your Chromebook has a backlit keyboard)
- F5: Refresh the current page or reload the app
- F6: Decrease the screen brightness
- F7: Increase the screen brightness
- F8: Mute the audio
- F9: Decrease the volume
- F10: Increase the volume
- F11: Exit full-screen mode (minimize window)
- F12: Open the Developer Tools (similar to pressing Ctrl + Shift + I)
2. Using Function Keys as Standard Function Keys: To use the function keys as standard function keys (F1 to F12) on a Chromebook, you need to press the “Search” key along with the desired function key. The “Search” key is typically located between the “Shift” and “Caps Lock” keys and has a magnifying glass icon or the word “Search” on it.
- Pressing “Search + F1” will perform the function of F1, such as going to the previous window.
- Pressing “Search + F2” will perform the function of F2, such as going to the next window.
- And so on for the other function keys.
3. Inverting the Default and Standard Functions: You can also invert the default and standard functions of the function keys. In other words, you can make the function keys behave as standard function keys by default, and use the “Search” key to access their special functions.
To invert the default and standard functions, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” menu by clicking on the time in the bottom-right corner and then clicking on the gear icon.
- In the Settings menu, click on “Keyboard.”
- Scroll down to the “Function keys” section.
- Select “Treat top-row keys as function keys.”
After enabling this option, you can use the function keys as standard function keys (F1 to F12) by default. To access their special functions, you’ll need to press the “Search” key along with the desired function key.
Keep in mind that the specific functions of function keys may vary slightly based on the Chromebook model and Chrome OS version. The instructions provided here are based on the default behavior of most Chromebooks.