HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) is a video compression standard that provides higher efficiency than its predecessors, such as H.264. Windows 10 does include support for HEVC, but it may require a separate codec to be installed for certain apps or functionalities. If you’re looking to get the HEVC codec for free on Windows 10, here are the steps:
- Check Windows Update: Ensure that your Windows 10 system is up to date. Microsoft has included HEVC support in recent updates, so make sure your system is fully updated.
- Install HEVC Extension from Microsoft Store: Microsoft provides a free HEVC extension in the Microsoft Store. You can download and install it by following these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 system.
- Search for “HEVC Video Extensions” in the store.
- Download and install the HEVC extension.
- Alternative Options: If you encounter any issues with the Microsoft Store or prefer an alternative solution, you can consider third-party HEVC codec packs. However, be cautious when downloading and installing codec packs from unofficial sources, as they may contain unwanted software or pose security risks. Always download from reputable sources.
- A popular codec pack that includes HEVC support is the K-Lite Codec Pack. You can find it on the official website: K-Lite Codec Pack.
- VLC Media Player: If you use VLC Media Player for playback, it comes with built-in support for a wide range of codecs, including HEVC. Ensure you have the latest version of VLC installed, and it should be able to handle HEVC-encoded videos without the need for an additional codec.
Remember to exercise caution when downloading and installing software from the internet, and always use official sources to minimize security risks. Additionally, check the licensing terms and conditions of any third-party software you choose to install.