There are a number of remedies that can help to relieve an itchy throat. Some of the most common and effective remedies include:
- Gargling with salt water: Salt water can help to soothe an itchy throat and reduce inflammation. To gargle with salt water, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water. Gargle for 30 seconds, then spit out the water. You can gargle with salt water several times a day.
- Drinking warm liquids: Warm liquids, such as tea, soup, or broth, can help to soothe an itchy throat and keep it moist. Avoid drinking acidic or caffeinated beverages, as these can irritate your throat.
- Using a humidifier: A humidifier can add moisture to the air, which can help to soothe an itchy throat. If you have a humidifier, run it in your bedroom at night while you sleep.
- Taking over-the-counter medications: Over-the-counter medications, such as lozenges or cough drops, can help to relieve an itchy throat. Look for medications that contain menthol or benzocaine, as these ingredients can help to numb the pain and irritation.
- Eating honey: Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe an itchy throat. You can eat a spoonful of honey on its own or add it to tea or warm water.
If your itchy throat is severe or does not improve with home remedies, see a doctor. They may prescribe medication to help relieve your symptoms and treat the underlying cause of your itchy throat.
Here are some additional tips to help relieve an itchy throat:
- Avoid smoking and secondhand smoke.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Avoid dry air.
- Take a warm shower or bath.
- Avoid eating spicy or acidic foods.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.