Porting your old phone number to Google Voice allows you to keep your existing phone number while using Google’s phone and messaging services. Here are the steps to port your old phone number to Google Voice:
- Check if your number is eligible: Before you start the porting process, check if your old phone number is eligible to be ported to Google Voice. You can check this on Google’s website by entering your number.
- Sign up for Google Voice: If you don’t already have a Google Voice account, sign up for one on Google’s website.
- Initiate the porting process: Sign in to your Google Voice account and click on the settings icon in the top right corner. Select “Get a Voice number” and follow the prompts to start the porting process.
- Verify your old phone number: After initiating the porting process, Google will ask you to verify your old phone number. This may involve receiving a verification code via text message or phone call.
- Pay the porting fee: There is a one-time fee of $20 to port your old number to Google Voice. You will need to pay this fee during the porting process.
- Wait for the porting process to complete: The porting process can take up to 24 hours to complete. During this time, your old phone number will continue to work as normal.
- Start using Google Voice: Once the porting process is complete, your old phone number will be transferred to Google Voice. You can start using Google’s phone and messaging services with your old number.
Porting your old phone number to Google Voice can be useful if you want to keep your existing number but switch to a different phone carrier or service provider. It also allows you to use Google’s features like voicemail transcription, call blocking, and more.