To install SQL Server in Windows, follow these general steps:
- Go to the Microsoft SQL Server download page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads
- Choose the edition of SQL Server you want to install and click on the download button. You can choose either a free version like Express or a paid version like Developer, Standard, or Enterprise.
- The installer will download to your computer. Double-click on the downloaded installer to start the installation process.
- Follow the installation wizard’s instructions, which will guide you through the installation process. You will need to choose the installation type, accept the license agreement, and select the features you want to install.
- When prompted, set the instance name, which is the name of the SQL Server instance that you are installing.
- Set the authentication mode, which determines how users will connect to the database. You can choose between Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication.
- Configure the server settings, such as the TCP/IP port number, collation, and server administrator account.
- Complete the installation process by clicking the “Install” button.
- After the installation is complete, you can open SQL Server Management Studio to connect to the database and start working with it.
Note that the installation steps may vary depending on the version of SQL Server you are installing, so be sure to follow the installation instructions specific to your version.