To delete a branch in GitHub, you can follow these simple steps:
- Open the repository: Open the GitHub repository where the branch you want to delete is located.
- Switch to the branch: Click on the drop-down menu on the top left side of the page and select the branch you want to delete.
- Click on the “Settings” button: On the right side of the page, you should see a button labeled “Settings”. Click on it.
- Click on “Branches” tab: From the “Settings” page, click on the “Branches” tab.
- Find the branch you want to delete: Find the branch you want to delete from the list of branches.
- Click on the “Delete” button: Next to the branch name, you should see a “Delete” button. Click on it to delete the branch.
- Confirm the deletion: A confirmation dialog box will appear. Confirm the deletion by typing in the name of the branch and clicking on “Delete branch”.
That’s it! The branch will be deleted from your GitHub repository. It’s important to note that once a branch is deleted, all the commits made to that branch will be lost. If you want to preserve the commits made to the branch, you should consider merging the branch into another branch before deleting it.