Hibernation is a power-saving state that allows you to save all your open documents, running applications, and data to your hard disk and then power off your computer. When you turn your computer back on, your system will restore your previous session, allowing you to continue where you left off. In Windows 10, hibernation is enabled by default, but you can disable or enable it depending on your needs.
In this article, we’ll show you how to enable or disable hibernation in Windows 10 using various methods.
Method 1: Enable or Disable Hibernation using Command Prompt You can enable or disable hibernation in Windows 10 using Command Prompt. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + X and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” or “Windows PowerShell (Admin)”.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
To Enable Hibernation: powercfg /h on To Disable Hibernation: powercfg /h off
- Close the Command Prompt.
Method 2: Enable or Disable Hibernation using Control Panel You can also enable or disable hibernation using Control Panel. Here’s how:
- Press Windows key + X and select “Control Panel”.
- Click “Power Options”.
- Click “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left-hand side.
- Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
- Scroll down to “Shutdown settings” and check or uncheck “Hibernate” depending on whether you want to enable or disable it.
- Click “Save changes”.
Method 3: Enable or Disable Hibernation using Registry Editor You can enable or disable hibernation by modifying the registry. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit” and press Enter.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Double-click “HibernateEnabled” on the right-hand side.
- Set the value to “1” to enable hibernation or “0” to disable hibernation.
- Close the Registry Editor.
Conclusion Enabling or disabling hibernation in Windows 10 is easy and straightforward. You can use any of the above methods depending on your preference. Disabling hibernation can save you disk space on your computer, but it will also prevent you from using the hibernate feature, which can be useful in certain situations.