Here is a list of top iron-rich foods:
- Meat and poultry: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken, and turkey are all good sources of iron.
- Seafood: Oysters, clams, mussels, and shrimp are excellent sources of iron.
- Beans and lentils: Beans and lentils are a good source of iron, especially for vegetarians and vegans.
- Dark leafy green vegetables: Spinach, kale, and collard greens are all good sources of iron.
- Dried fruit: Raisins, prunes, and apricots are all good sources of iron.
- Fortified cereals and breads: Many cereals and breads are fortified with iron, which means that iron has been added to them.
It is important to note that the type of iron in plant-based foods is different from the iron in meat and seafood. Non-heme iron, which is the type of iron found in plant-based foods, is not as easily absorbed by the body as heme iron, which is the type of iron found in meat and seafood.
To help your body absorb non-heme iron, eat it with a source of vitamin C, such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, or bell peppers. You can also soak or cook beans and lentils before eating them to make the iron more bioavailable.
If you are concerned about your iron intake, talk to your doctor. They can test your iron levels and recommend the best way to increase your iron intake if needed.