E-readers have become a staple for bibliophiles around the world. They offer a lightweight, portable, and convenient way to carry your entire library with you wherever you go. But with so many different models on the market, choosing the right e-reader can be overwhelming.
In this article, we’ll break down the best e-readers to buy right now, considering factors like budget, reading habits, and special features.
Best Overall E-reader: Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo Libra 2 is our top pick for the best overall e-reader. It strikes a perfect balance between affordability, features, and comfort. It boasts a 6.8-inch E Ink display with adjustable warm lighting, making it perfect for reading day or night. The Libra 2 is also water-resistant, so you can take it to the beach or pool without worry. And with 32GB of storage, you’ll have plenty of room for all your favorite ebooks.
Best Budget E-reader: Amazon Kindle
If you’re on a tight budget, the Amazon Kindle is the best e-reader for you. At just $100, it’s the most affordable e-reader on the market, and it still offers a great reading experience. The Kindle features a 6-inch E Ink display with adjustable front light, and it has enough storage for thousands of ebooks. However, it’s important to note that the Kindle is locked into Amazon’s ecosystem, so you won’t be able to borrow ebooks from your local library or buy books from other retailers.
Best Premium E-reader: Kindle Oasis
If you’re looking for the best-of-the-best e-reader experience, the Kindle Oasis is the way to go. It features a luxurious 7-inch E Ink display with adjustable warm and cool lighting, a sleek and ergonomic design, and physical page turn buttons. The Oasis is also water-resistant and has Audible integration, so you can listen to audiobooks on the go. However, all this luxury comes at a price, as the Oasis is the most expensive e-reader on this list.
Best E-reader for Kids: Amazon Kindle Kids Edition
The Amazon Kindle Kids Edition is the perfect e-reader for young readers. It’s based on the standard Kindle, but it comes with a kid-proof case, a year of free access to Amazon Kids+, and parental controls that let you limit screen time and manage what content your child can access.
Best E-reader for Audiobooks: Kobo Libra 2
While any e-reader with Bluetooth can technically play audiobooks, the Kobo Libra 2 is the best option for audiobook lovers. It has built-in speakers and Audible integration, so you can listen to your audiobooks without having to connect headphones.
Other Factors to Consider
When choosing an e-reader, it’s important to consider your own reading habits and preferences. Here are a few other factors to keep in mind:
- Display size: E-readers come in a variety of screen sizes, from 6 inches to 7.8 inches. If you like to read for long periods of time, a larger screen may be more comfortable.
- Display resolution: The higher the resolution, the sharper the text will be. However, a higher resolution will also drain the battery faster.
- Backlight: A backlight is essential for reading in low-light conditions. Some e-readers have adjustable backlights, so you can find the perfect brightness for your eyes.
- Battery life: E-readers typically have long battery life, but how long it lasts will depend on how much you use the backlight and other features.
- Storage: The amount of storage you need will depend on how many ebooks you plan to keep on your device.
- Water resistance: If you like to read at the beach or pool, a water-resistant e-reader is a must.
- Audiobook support: If you like to listen to audiobooks, make sure your e-reader has built-in speakers or Bluetooth connectivity.
The best e-reader for you is the one that meets your individual needs and preferences. Consider your budget, reading habits, and the features that are most important to you. With so many great options on the market, you’re sure to find the perfect e-reader to help you take your reading to the next level.