On Windows 10, you can customize which desktop icons are displayed on your screen. By default, Windows 10 displays icons for common items like This PC, Recycle Bin, and User’s Files. However, you can choose to show or hide specific icons based on your preferences. Here’s how you can do it:
Show or Hide Specific Desktop Icons:
- Right-click on the Desktop: Start by right-clicking on an empty space on your desktop. A context menu will appear.
- Navigate to “Personalize”: From the context menu, select “Personalize.” This will open the Settings app to the Personalization section.
- Select “Themes” from the left sidebar: In the Personalization settings, click on “Themes” from the left sidebar.
- Click on “Desktop icon settings”: Scroll down to the “Related Settings” section and click on “Desktop icon settings.”
- Choose the icons to show or hide: A new “Desktop Icon Settings” window will pop up. Here, you’ll see a list of available desktop icons with checkboxes next to them. To show an icon, check the corresponding box. To hide an icon, uncheck the box. For example, to hide the Recycle Bin icon, uncheck the “Recycle Bin” box.
- Apply the changes and close the window: After selecting the desired icons, click the “Apply” button to save your changes. The selected icons will now be shown or hidden on your desktop.
- Confirm changes (if necessary): If prompted, confirm your changes by clicking “OK” in any confirmation dialog boxes that appear.
Your desktop should now be updated to display or hide the specific icons you selected. If you ever want to change these settings again, simply follow the same steps and adjust the checkboxes accordingly.
Remember that hiding desktop icons doesn’t delete the corresponding items; it only hides their desktop shortcuts. You can still access these items through other means, like the Start menu or File Explorer.