Creating a radar chart in Excel is a bit different from creating other types of charts. As of my last update in September 2021, Excel doesn’t have a built-in radar chart feature, but you can create one using the available chart types and some adjustments. Here’s how you can do it:
Note: The process described here is based on Excel 2016 or later versions. Earlier versions of Excel might have slight differences.
- Prepare Your Data: Enter your data in a table format with categories as column headers and data values for each category. Make sure the data is arranged in a way that makes sense for the radar chart. For example:
Category Value 1 Value 2 Value 3 Value 4 Label 1 5 3 7 4 Label 2 4 6 2 8 Label 3 7 5 6 9
- Insert a Radar Chart: Select the data range, including the category labels and values. Go to the “Insert” tab in the Excel ribbon, click on the “Recommended Charts” button, and choose the “All Charts” tab. Alternatively, you can click on the “Insert” tab and select “Radar” from the “Charts” group.
- Choose the Radar Chart Type: In the “Insert Chart” dialog box, select “Radar” from the list of available chart types. Choose the radar chart style you prefer, and click “OK.”
- Format the Chart: Once the radar chart is inserted, you might need to format it to make it more readable and visually appealing. You can do the following:
- Add axis titles: Right-click on the chart and choose “Add Axis Title” to add titles to the radar chart’s axes.
- Adjust data series markers: Right-click on a data series in the chart and choose “Format Data Series” to customize data markers or lines.
- Format axis labels: Right-click on the axis labels and choose “Format Axis” to modify the axis label formatting.
- Save and Use the Radar Chart: After formatting the radar chart to your liking, save your Excel workbook. You can now use and update the chart as needed.
Please note that while you can create radar charts in Excel using this method, Excel’s support for radar charts is not as extensive as for other chart types. For more advanced radar charts and data visualization options, you might want to consider using specialized data visualization tools or software.