What’s the Difference Between the “Enter” and “Return” Keys?

In modern computer keyboards, especially those on personal computers, the terms “Enter” and “Return” keys are often used interchangeably, and both keys usually perform the same function. However, historically and in some specific contexts, there has been a distinction between the two keys.

  1. Enter Key: The “Enter” key is typically found on the right side of the main section of the keyboard, usually below the “Backspace” key and the “Shift” key. On most modern keyboards, the “Enter” key is labeled with the word “Enter” or an arrow pointing down and to the left. This key is commonly used to:
  • Execute a command or confirm an action, such as submitting a form or sending a message.
  • Move the cursor to the beginning of the next line (carriage return) in word processing applications or text editors.
  1. Return Key: The “Return” key is historically associated with typewriters and early computer terminals. On older typewriters, the “Return” key worked differently from the modern “Enter” key. It caused the carriage to return to the beginning of the line (carriage return) and moved the paper up one line without advancing to the next page. On some computer keyboards, especially those from Apple, the “Return” key is still labeled with “Return” or an arrow pointing down and to the left. However, its functionality is similar to the “Enter” key on modern computers.

In summary, while there has been a historical distinction between the “Enter” and “Return” keys, they are functionally equivalent on most modern keyboards and are used to execute commands, confirm actions, or move the cursor to the beginning of the next line. The specific labeling and placement of these keys may vary depending on the keyboard manufacturer and regional standards.

Leave a Reply