The typing indicator in iMessage shows that the recipient is typing a message. However, there are a few reasons why you might not see the typing indicator:
- The recipient has turned off typing indicators. This can be done in the iMessage settings.
- The recipient is not connected to the internet. If the recipient is not connected to the internet, they will not be able to send or receive messages, including the typing indicator.
- The recipient is using an older version of iMessage. Older versions of iMessage do not support the typing indicator.
- The recipient is using a third-party messaging app. Third-party messaging apps do not always support the typing indicator.
If you are not sure why you are not seeing the typing indicator, you can ask the recipient to check their iMessage settings.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about the typing indicator in iMessage:
- The typing indicator only appears when the recipient is actively typing. If the recipient pauses to think, the typing indicator will disappear.
- The typing indicator does not appear if the recipient is sending a photo or video.
- The typing indicator can be turned off in the iMessage settings.
If you or the other person are using regular SMS or text messages instead of iMessage, the “Typing” bubbles won’t appear, as this feature is exclusive to iMessage. Similarly, if either party has disabled the “Send Read Receipts” feature in the iMessage settings, the “Typing” bubbles will not be displayed, even if you are both using iMessage.