Here are 14 ways to relieve back pain:
- Apply heat or ice. Heat can help to relax muscles and relieve pain, while ice can help to reduce inflammation. Apply heat or ice to your back for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers. Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Rest. If your back pain is severe, it is important to rest. Avoid activities that aggravate your pain.
- Gentle exercise. Once your pain has subsided, gentle exercise can help to strengthen your back muscles and reduce your risk of future back pain. Walking, swimming, and yoga are all good options for gentle exercise.
- Good posture. Good posture can help to reduce stress on your back. Stand up straight and keep your shoulders relaxed. When sitting, use a chair with good lumbar support.
- Lose weight. If you are overweight or obese, losing weight can help to reduce stress on your back.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can damage your spinal discs and increase your risk of back pain.
- Get a massage. A massage can help to relax muscles and relieve pain.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine practice that involves inserting thin needles into specific points on the body. Some studies have shown that acupuncture can be effective for relieving back pain.
- Yoga. Yoga is a mind-body practice that combines physical postures, breathing exercises, and meditation. Yoga can help to strengthen the back muscles and improve flexibility.
- Tai chi. Tai chi is a gentle form of exercise that involves slow, flowing movements. Tai chi can help to improve balance, flexibility, and strength.
- Physical therapy. Physical therapy can help to strengthen the back muscles and teach you exercises to improve your posture and flexibility.
- Injections. In some cases, your doctor may recommend injections of corticosteroids or other medications to relieve back pain.
- Surgery. Surgery is usually only recommended for severe back pain that does not respond to other treatments.
If you have back pain, it is important to see a doctor to determine the cause and get the appropriate treatment.